A snip snip here and a snip snip there. That’s all it takes to get a different look out of your dies and make them match the situation you need!
Hi there, Becca Feeken with Amazing Paper Grace here with some of my new dies from the Wedding Collection I designed for Spellbinders. I love to design options that are mix and match that extend the use of your dies but one of the first things I think about when picking up a die is can I ‘cut’ the diecut and make other uses? Think about it – if you can snip and trim, you’re essentially getting another die to use.
I pulled together a card today to show you exactly how easy it is to logically trim a die to change its appearance. The main die in this card is Spellbinders Ornamental Crest. Originally I thought it might be too wide for my design when I realized I could really draw down the size of the design with a snip here and a snip there. I wanted to change it up to add the pointed filigree piece to the center as a statement to draw your eye in.
With scissors or a craft knife it was very easy to trim and you can see the original piece, the trimmed piece and the final piece below. If you feel like your cutting isn’t smooth enough simply take a nail file and sand the edges smooth!
Here’s how the card goes together:
1. For this simple card I created a card base from white card stock using Spellbinders Classic Elegance Label. Remember to cut a card base from a simple label die you fold your card stock in half and place the fold shy of the cut line on the inside – then run through your machine.
2. Next I used foam tape to adhere the Spellbinders Ornamental Crest die cut from silver, that I so easily trimmed. Cut a duplicate in white and use the center pieces.
3. With white cardstock, cut two of the peaked embellishment pieces from Spellbinders Regal Allure and glue to the upper and lower edges of the Ornamental Crest die cut.
4. Finish off with a sentiment, add a bow, pearls and flowers.
5. Use the curly tendril element from the Classic Elegance Label set to embellish the bow and flowers.
Neenah Classic Crest – Solar White – 80lb smooth cardstock
The Fine Touch Metallic Cardstock – Silver
Tsukineko Versamark Watermark Stamp Pad
Ranger Extra Fine Detail Embossing Powder – Silver
May Arts Silk Ribbon – 1.25” SK-5 – White
Prima Mulberry Flowers
Take another look at your ‘go to’ dies. You’ll be surprised how much you can snip to get a different look!