Hello Everyone. Donna Salazar here with a photo AND video tutorial in one blog post for you! I made this canvas using the products from my Mixed Media Bundle. There is texture, texture and more texture on this canvas and I’m gonna show you how I created all these layers of goodness.
1. Cover 2 book pages with gesso or acrylic paint.
2. Dry the pages then run through the Platinum using the Splattered Circles embossing folder.
3. Lightly run ink over the pages to highlight the embossed design.
4. Trim the pages so they fit to your canvas.
1. Cover the canvas with diluted Girlie Grunge Art Medium (2 parts medium 1 part water).
2. Align the book pages and smooth out air bubbles.
3. Apply a coat of diluted Girlie Grunge Art Medium over the top of the pages.
4. Dry with a heat gun about 6 inches from surface. (don’t hold too close to the canvas or it will create air bubbles under the paper)
1. Dry brush with white paint to soften the look.
2. Apply 2 Cascading Circles die cuts to the canvas with undiluted Girlie Grunge Art Medium.
3. Wrap the die cuts around the edges of the canvas then trim off the excess.
4. Dry brush with white paint to soften the look.
1. Die cut multiple gears with the Sprightly Sprockets die set. **TIP** You can combine the sprockets to create blank space gears as well. I’ve also got the center circles from the Cascading Circles die cuts that I ran through the Platinum machine inside the Splattered Circles embossing folder. These die cuts were made from multiple different papers so I dry brushed over them with white paint to unify the colors and to give them a softer look.
2. Layer the gears and embossed circles randomly over the canvas.
3. Adhere to the canvas with diluted Girlie Grunge Art Medium.
4. Dry brush with white paint to soften the look.
1. Add watercolor paint over the die cuts (You can also check out my DIY Watercolor Paints Tutorial to learn how to make your own watercolors).
2. Mist over the watercolors with water.
3. Blend with a brush.
4. Tilt the canvas then dry the drips with a heat gun.
1. Add a different watercolor color to the canvas.
2. Mist with water and blend with a brush.
3. Tilt the canvas and dry with a heat gun.
4. This is a photo of what the background looks like after drying.
1. Die cut 2 Alpha Bits Banners (stamp shape) from kraft card stock and 2 from book pages then dry brush over the book page die cuts with white paint.
2. Use Girlie Grunge Art Medium to adhere the two layers together at the top.
3. Stamp 2 words from the Journal Words stamp set onto card stock. **TIP** I will set up a line of words on a long stamp blog and stamp several strips of them to use later. I’ve got several sayings ready to go in this glass bottle.
4. Cut the words out and ink the edges.
1. Adhere the words to the front of the Alpha Bits banner pieces.
2. Use a needle to thread the banner pieces together onto a piece of twine that is 6 inches wider than the canvas.
3. You will be making 3 large flowers using the Rose Creations die set: Die cut 6 of the largest (size #6) flower from a light patterned card stock, 6 of the next size down (size #5) from a dark pattern card stock, 6 of the next size down (size #4) from white card stock, then 9 of the next size down (size #3) from book pages. Dry brush over the book pages with white paint then paint a layer or two over the top of the rest of the die cuts with white paint to give them thickness and to unify the color.
Watch the video below to see how I assembled these flowers.
1. Adhere the flowers to the canvas using several Dodz Adhesive Dots XL (which are incredibly strong and IDEAL for mixed media).
2. Die cut from kraft card stock: 3 branches using the foliage die from the Embroidered Flowers stamp and die set and 2 branches using the foliage die from the Always Remember stamp and die set. Also die cut 5 leaves out of a light colored patterned card stock using the largest leaf die in the Rose Creations set.
3. Use Girlie Grunge Art Medium to adhere the branch and leaf die cuts in place.
4. This is how I placed my leaves and flowers.
1. Die cut 1 more Cascading Circles from kraft card stock, cut in half and apply undiluted Girlie Grunge Art Medium to the
2. Paint another layer of the Art Medium over the top of the die cut, wrap around the edge of the canvas and trim off the excess.
3. This is a photo of the die cut wrapped around the top edge.
4. Add the second half of the die cut to the bottom right side of the canvas in the same way.
1. Center the Alpha Bits banner over the Cascading Circles on the top left and add 2 more pieces of twine in the same length.
2. Use low tack tape to hold the twine in place on the front of the canvas.
3. Wrap the twine around to the back and use Girlie Grunge Art Medium to hold in place and dry with a heat gun.
4. Close up view of the banner over the Cascading Circles die cut.
1. Die cut one more Cascading Circles out of kraft card stock and cut into small pieces to add to the canvas.
2. Adhere the die cut pieces to the canvas with undiluted Girlie Grunge Art Medium.
3. Lightly dry brush over these die cut pieces with white paint to soften the look.
And this is the finished canvas.
Close up of the flower and some of the background texture.
Close up of the Alpha Bits banner and more of the background texture.
Close up of the other two flowers and more of the background texture.
The photo above is the glass bottle where I keep my word strips made with my Journal Words stamp set. This makes adding words to projects super fast and easy!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and will try some of the techniques I’ve shared with you. Don’t forget that the majority of my Spellbinders products used on this canvas are sold together in the Mixed Media Bundle. The total value of the products in this bundle = $105.95 but the bundle price is only $79.99 AND you get an awesome Spellbinders® zipper pouch too!
Links To Product Used:
Donna Salazar with Spellbinders®
SDS-019 Embroidered Flowers Stamp & Dies (foliage)
SDS-022 – Always Remember Stamp & Dies (foliage)
Donna Salazar with Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L®
Donna Salazar with Colorbox®
Mix’d Media Inx CHOX