Hello everyone, my name is Mallika Kejriwal and I am guest designing for Spellbinders this month using the beautiful Vintage Treasures Collection by Becca Feeken. I am from Chicago and I work full time as a coder for a tech company and part time as a crafter. I run a YouTube channel called Aola DIY where I teach shabby chic, vintage inspired mixed media crafts. Today I’ll be sharing my interpretation of beautiful Vintage Treasures Collection in mixed media style and along with that I also a step by step tutorial for everyone to follow along. I was inspired by the celebration of life and how precious and beautiful it is.
I have made two tags using similar dies from the collection.
- Step 1: Take two coordinating sheets of patterned paper. Distress them and stick onto each other such that one sheet is slightly smaller than the other one.
- Step 2: In this step, I have applied some texture paste using die cut as my stencil. The result was beautiful, one can achieve so much using these dies.
- Step 3: Now simple add color to the beautiful texture made using the paste and die cut. This will bring out the pattern beautifully and intensify it.
- Step 4: Now add some die cuts to the base, and top it off with embellishments of your choice. I have used beautiful flowers, leaves and a handmade butterfly.
- Step 5: I wanted to add mixed media touch to my tags, so I have used some stones, gems and more color to add more texture to my tags.
- Step 6: Add some glitter to the tag. Nothing is complete without a sprinkle of fairy dust. To top off my tags, I added some word sentiments.
- Step 7: Add an eyelet and eyelash trim to the tag.
- Step 8: To finish off the tag, in order to balance all the elements and colors – I white washed it with some gesso using dry brush technique.
Here are some close-up pictures:
Texture paste, Spatula; Distress ink and tool; Art Stones; Glitter; Acrylic paints; Eyelets; Crop a dile
Have a wonderful day.